How Planning And Strategy Can Help You Write A More Focused Paper?
If you are asked to perform a task that requires your undivided attention and needs to be delivered on a predefined schedule then you need to put in a lot of effort to make sure it is accomplished in the given timeline. As a higher education student, you should never compromise on the quality of your performance and hence always uphold the standards that are expected from your work. This holds true for almost all types of work that a student is associated with. In the case of written work, students are commonly allocated to write about a certain subject by their teachers and professors. The purpose behind this obligation is to evaluate them for their understanding regarding the topic and how they use their analytical skills to resolve a stated problem. However even before you begin the actual writing phase of your task, planning and strategy plays quite an effective role which can help you deliver your work in a more appropriate manner. Here is why you should consider formulating a strategy for your work before actually initiating the composition of your actual written task.
Familiarize Yourself with the Topic
The subject and topic of your work plays a huge role in defining the range and scope of your work. Hence you must first develop a thorough understanding regarding its underlying meaning and inferences before begin writing about it. This will allow you to familiarize with the learning objectives and the purpose behind your work. Once you have gotten accustomed to the topic of your written task, it is now time for you to brainstorm for ideas that you would incorporate within your paper.
Brainstorming for Ideas
The topic and getting acquainted with it allows you to draw a mental image of how you would deliver your work. However, once you have described the intended pathway you would choose to address the topic, you need to brainstorm for ideas that would help you deal with in order to create a comprehensive paper. When you are brainstorming for ideas make sure that you select only the ones that are directly related to the nature and theme of your work. All irrelevant thoughts should be avoided. Once you have managed to assimilate relatable ideas, it is now time for you to arrange them in a sequence. Make sure that you understand the audience of your work well. So select an introduction that will set the foundation of your written document. Once your starting point is crystal clear then you should make an arrangement that you would follow towards the ending and conclusion of your work. This will give a sequence for you to keep an eye on when actually writing your paper.
Create an Outline
Academic written work is as formal as it can get, so make sure that you have a robust outline for your written work. This will help you divide your work into meaningful segments. The three most important sections of your written work in general are:
- An Introduction: This is where you set the mood and pace for your entire work to follow. Make sure that your introductions are to the point and do not deviate from the actual path you have chosen to follow for your work. The introduction is meant to be written in a crisp and concise manner. The meanings should precise and there should be no ambiguity involved. Your introductions should never exceed the 15% of your total word count limit for the entire task.
- The Main Body of Discussion: As you would have guessed it, this is the lengthiest part of your written work, so don’t be shy to use a lot of descriptive language as well as explanations in this part of your paper. Make sure that you leave nothing to chance and write this section of your work with lots of attention to detail. The main body of discussion should be at the least 60% of your total word count limit for the entire task.
- Conclusion: Finally the last entry in your document, the conclusion is where put in the final word and verdict regarding your written work. You need to deliver your rulings and their justifications. The conclusion is also meant to be written in a short and concise manner. You cannot leave your documents with open endings. Your conclusion should be the defining part of your work, and it should not exceed the 20% of your total word count limit for the entire task.
You can also create more headings under each section as per to your preferences. However, you need to make sure that you do not mess up the arrangement of your work at any cost.
Your investigations and research work needs to be completed before the actual writing begins. Hence it would be best that you identify the purpose behind your study first rather than going after it in a haphazard style. Understand first the requirements that lead towards the attainment of additional knowledge. This will help you make your research in a more guided and focused manner. Once you know what and why you are researching for, it will help you to stay focused and result oriented. If there are a lot of citations and references that you would like to use within your paper then make sure that they come from authentic and credible sources that renowned for their trustworthiness.
The Major Benefits of Planning
- It helps you to structure your ideas in an organized manner.
- For time-sensitive tasks, you can allocate time limits for each section of your work, which will allow you to accomplish the task in the given deadline.
- It reduces your anxieties related to the stress and confusion of delivering your written work, and instead provide you with the confidence to attain good marks.
- Your writing is more focused and has added clarity to it which coincides with the actual purpose and aim of the entire task.
- Your goals and objectives for the task are well defined and this allows you to give your written work a particular direction to follow.
- The planning phase allows you to prepare for problems and limitations within your writing beforehand.
- Planning also helps you deliver your work in a more professional perspective and this can transform your written paper into a scholarly article.
We hope this post was able to offer you some great understanding as to how planning and strategy can effectively support you to write a more focused and dedicated paper. We strongly recommend that you plan out your essays and assignments in the future. It not only makes your writing task much easier to accomplish but also aids you in meeting your deadline and due date in a proactive manner.